I love mindset, psychology, and self-development, but my first love will always be sweating. Working out is the best part of my day. After a legendary high school basketball career came to a close, I had to find a way to continue to break a sweat, so naturally I fell into the health and fitness world, and became a personal trainer and fitness blogger.
Next week, both JillFit and Metabolic Effect, companies that I am closely linked to, are launching AWESOME workout programs. So in honor of sweating and sick workout programs dropping I wanted to share some nasty workouts of my own. Here are 5 workouts that you can do in 10 minutes or less that are sure to mess you up. Enjoy.
I. The Cave (5 Minutes)
When I was living in North Carolina, I was running a blog called College Body – a fitness site for college students – and I put this workout out as a contest to see who could complete the most rounds in 5-minutes. It’s called “the cave” because that’s where I shot the how-to video (below). The Cave was a 1000-square-foot apartment where four people lived at any given moment.
- Your beautiful body and an area to sweat on
- Set a timer for 5 minutes.
- If you get up to 10 before the 5 minutes is up, start back at 1
- Perform a burpee, do one push up at the bottom, come up, and do a squat jump. Go back down, do two push-ups, and then come back up and do two squat jumps. Then do three.. then four… you get the picture.
II. Lunge Lunacy (10 Minutes) – via @JillFit
I write about my sister Jill making me do a bunch of fitness shit growing up, and this may be one of the worst.
- Smith Machine (optional)
- A loss of common sense
- There are two supersets you are to complete. The goal is to get 3-4 rounds per superset.
- Set a timer for 5 minutes, do superset #1. Then do the same thing for superset #2
- Yell curse words and listen to Meek Mill, Ace Hood, or some other intense, profane music to get you through
|Barbell Lunges||12/leg||They can be static, or alternating|
|Bulgarian Split Squats||12/leg||Put one leg up on a bench, and drop your back knee towards the ground|
III. Chaining Day (10 Minutes)
My man Dr. Jade has taught me more about health and fitness than I could have possibly learned by getting a 4-year degree in Exercise Science. Here is one of many workouts he taught me that will get you shredded.
- A heavy set of dumbbells
- A bed to fall on when you’re done
- A metabolic chain is where you continuously add a rep every round (similar to “the cave” workout above).
- You will add 1 rep to each individual exercise until you get to 5. Once you get to 5, start over at 1
- Nasty, I know.
Here’s a video of my man Jade doing something the workout – only remember to add a row with each arm with your push-up:
IV. Straight Up (5 minutes)
My team at Metabolic Effect believes in efficient, nasty workouts. Unfortunately, they are not always fun.. So if you’re one to get bored easily, this is not the one for you. These are called “Straight Sets.” This means you’ll do one exercise for 5 minutes straight. Good luck.
- Once again, just that beautiful body of yours
- An adult attention span
- Pick one movement: push-ups, squats, squat jumps, lunges, sit-ups, etc.
- Seriously, any movement you want.
- Set a timer for 5 minutes
- Perform as many reps of that exercise as possible in 5 minutes
- Yes, boring. Yes, effective
V. Kettle Bullsh*t (I have no idea why I starred out the “i”)
With all my people dropping fitness programs in May (JillFit Drops #TredLift and Metabolic Effect is releasing Metabolic 10), I wanted to create something of my own. So this one is all mine. Although, I’m sure you can find it somewhere else on the internet…
- A heavy-ass kettlebell
- Better lungs than mine
- Again, we’re working with chains and cave-like environments. You will perform two movements, a burpee and a kettlebell swing, but this time you’ll go from 10 down to one rather than 1è10
- Do 10 burpees, then 10 KB swings. Then 9 and 9.. 8 and 8… you get it
- Once you get to one, you’re done